NJ Human Companies Awards Volunteers for Efforts to Stop Osteoporosis
Murphy Administration Commemorates 25th Anniversary of Challenge Wholesome Bones Program
Could 13, 2021
(TRENTON) – In commemoration of Osteoporosis Consciousness and Prevention Month and the 25th anniversary of a volunteer program to assist older adults hold their bones sturdy, New Jersey Human Companies at the moment introduced the recipients of the 2021 Osteoporosis Prevention Awards.
Highschool college students, peer leaders, faith-based caregivers and a lately deceased long-time volunteer are amongst these awarded for his or her efforts, which had been much more necessary throughout a pandemic that stored so many older adults inside and threatened to stop the train vital to take care of wholesome bones.
The entire awardees had been individuals in New Jersey’s Challenge Wholesome Bones (PHB), a volunteer-led wellness program designed to stop osteoporosis-related well being points via weekly train and training lessons for seniors.
“Osteoporosis is basically preventable, and we admire the entire volunteers who took time throughout this notably difficult 12 months to assist promote the wholesome behaviors that may assist individuals keep their well being and independence,” Human Companies Appearing Commissioner Sarah Adelman stated. “We all know that via a balanced weight-reduction plan, correct diet and train, older adults can keep extra independence with much less menace of damage.”
Most of the lessons and academic shows have been made just about through the pandemic to make sure participation might proceed.
Governor Phil Murphy has declared Could to be Osteoporosis Consciousness and Prevention Month, at the side of Nationwide Osteoporosis Consciousness Month.
Often known as the “silent illness,” osteoporosis is a severe situation through which bones change into skinny, brittle and simply damaged. It ends in half of all ladies and 20 % of all males having an osteoporotic fracture of their lifetime.
Wholesome behaviors embody consuming a balanced weight-reduction plan wealthy in calcium and vitamin D, weight-bearing train, no smoking or extreme alcohol, and bone density testing and drugs when acceptable.
“Many individuals will not be conscious they’ve osteoporosis till they fall and break a bone,” Division of Growing old Companies Director Louise Rush stated. “Osteoporosis can have devastating results, impairing a person’s means to stroll unassisted and sometimes leading to extended or everlasting incapacity, institutionalization or dying.”
Greater than 2,500 individuals take part in PHB, a partnership with Human Companies and the New Jersey Interagency Council on Osteoporosis (ICO). PHB has 250 peer leaders and conducts greater than 150 lessons.
Along with PHB, New Jersey’s technique for stopping and lowering falls consists of three nationally acknowledged packages supported via Older People Act funding: The Otago Train Program, Tai Ji Quan: Transferring for Higher Steadiness, and A Matter of Steadiness: Managing Issues About Falls.
The next individuals and companies had been awarded:
Group Advocate Awards had been introduced to the next people:
- Vernie Ellis, posthumously, former PHB Peer Chief, St. Barnabas Well being System. Ms. Ellis died October 1, 2020, simply in need of her 92nd birthday. Whereas concerned with Challenge Wholesome Bones, Vernie embodied one of the best of this system and its leaders. A protracted-time program volunteer, she labored to carry a category to one of many inside cities in Essex County, ultimately discovering an company in Newark to sponsor this system. The efforts proved useful in working with residents in different group well being packages.
- Michael Leff, Millburn Excessive Faculty Scholar and Founding father of TheBridgeToNow.comm. When COVID-19 hit in March 2020 and security precautions compelled the closing of senior facilities, libraries and different websites that historically host Challenge Wholesome Bones lessons, leaders regarded for alternate on-line supply platforms, particularly Zoom. A senior in Millburn Excessive Faculty, Michael launched a program, The Bridge to Now, to show older adults learn how to use Zoom and Fb, shield their identification and order meals on-line. The Millburn Challenge Wholesome Bones class turned to him for help and their class has been supplied through Zoom efficiently ever since.
- Pat Briant, Dottie Hadijpetrosos, Delia Vince Cruz and Kathy Casey, Randolph Township PHB Leaders; and Joan DeYoung, Rose Marie Lange, Mikki Nugaris, Lucy Dodge, Lynn Huron and Invoice Craig, Jefferson Township Tuesday and Thursday Lessons PHB Leaders. The choice to Zoom lessons was both to cease all programming or discover a secure approach to proceed assembly in particular person. Three Morris County lessons selected the letter, efficiently shifting their lessons outdoor. The Randolph class moved to an outside pavilion and the Jefferson lessons had been held within the senior middle car parking zone. Lessons ran weekly from Could to November 2020, and can resume this Could.
- Lori Stevens, Parker Well being Group, PHB Peer Chief. Lori skilled as a Challenge Wholesome Bones Peer Chief about 4 years in the past to help Parker Well being Group’s community-based packages in Franklin Senior Heart in Somerset County. Lori has led a bunch of 20-25 individuals on a weekly foundation and has engaged her individuals within the training curriculum portion of this system by having them accumulate and convey info and assets to share with their classmates.
Skilled Awards had been introduced to the next companies and people:
- Parker Well being Group and Lori Morell. Ten years in the past the Parker Well being Group gave Challenge Wholesome Bones a grant to introduce this system to their assisted residing facility, Stonegate, in Piscataway. That grant led to a analysis publication and an in depth bond between Parker and its Director of Well being and Wellness, Lori Morell, and the statewide PHB community. Since then, Parker has included PHB in any respect its services and introduced PHB to close by retirement communities via its Parker at Residence program. Addressing a number of the obstacles posed by COVID-19, Parker was the primary middle to implement a digital program that now serves 60 individuals. In 2021, Parker reinstated its PHB program for Franklin Township (Somerset) and arranged a brand new class for learners.
- Interfaith Caregivers of Higher Mercer County and Evita Girón, her Coordinators and Peer Leaders. When COVID-19 compelled statewide shutdowns in March 2020, Interfaith Caregivers was providing seven Challenge Wholesome Bones lessons in 5 areas. Some lessons had been bilingual, introduced in Spanish and English. Some had been held in low-income senior housing buildings and others in suburban libraries. Lead coordinator Evita Girón and her different coordinators and peer leaders created a plan specializing in their individuals and know-how. First, they made wellness calls to reassure each participant, encouraging them and providing help. Subsequent, they created a Zoom account and offered technical coaching for peer leaders to construct abilities and confidence for providing digital lessons. In mid-June 2020, Interfaith held its first Monday class. In September, it started providing a Thursday class.
For extra info on the ICO, Challenge Wholesome Bones, or different falls prevention packages, name 609-438-4798 go on-line to www.aging.nj.gov.
(Visited 8 instances, 8 visits at the moment)